At Pippins School, we are very proud to hold 'Green Flag' status in recognition of our continued efforts to be Eco-friendly!
To achieve this, we have a team of Eco Warriors, who review the school grounds and take action to make our environment the best it can be! During the build up to our 'Green Flag, the Eco Warriors held assemblies, had visitors in to school, wrote letters for support to companies and councillors, held competitions and worked closely with our school bursar.
What have we done?
We have made conscious efforts to reduce energy by:
- Inserting sensor light
- Inserting push taps throughout school
- Having switch-off monitors for each class
- Using plastic covers on doors which are left open
We have reduced litter by:
- Having 'Litter Bugs' monitoring the playground and assessing recycling bins around school
- Holding recycling assemblies
- Using compost bins
- Reusing and recycling materials for science and DT lessons
We have been improving our school grounds by:
- Planting flowers, fruit and vegetable in our garden
- Raising money for new equipment
- Building an 'Adobe Dome', for outside learning
What are our next steps?
- To save energy by an extra 10%
- To promote biodiversity around the school (encouraging wildlife to the school)
- Reduce waste from our kitchen and art supplies (which we have already started doing!)