Year 5 (Waltz) 2021 - 2022
We are now in our final term of Year 5! This is the term where the magic brings everything together. Consolidation and application of skills always seems to be the most fruitful in Summer term.
For this half term, we are exploring modern fiction. Michael Morpurgo has blessed us with the story of 'Kensuke's Kingdom,' which we will be reading and exploring chapter by chapter. We will be capturing the author's thoughts as he conveys characters in a particular way, collect some adventurous and technical vocabulary and work on our skills of retrieval, inference, sequencing, prediction, summarising and explaining.
In English, we will be using the story to exercise grammatical and story telling skills.We will be exploring the characters, writing from other character's point of view and finish by writing our own chapter of the story using objectives from the national curriculum.
In Maths we will be consolidating our knowledge of decimals and moving on to our next topic of geometry where we will be exploring properties of shapes.
This half term, we will be learning all about forces and mechanisms. We will be exposed to some of the world's greatest scientists and conducting experiements to create our own STEM sentences.
In Geography this term, we will be exploring our world. We will be learning about the world's different time zones, biomes and what causes extreme weather conditions. We will be looking at the causes and impact of the world's most well known natural disasters.
Vectors will be the focus of our computing this half term. We will be learning about drawings formewd online. During the course of this topic, we will be using a resource online - vectr.com to create our own drawings. We will be exploring line, shape, colour and impact of our online drawings.
This half term, we will be experiencing mixed media. We will start from the very beginning and look into how paper is made. We are going to try and recreate this on a smaller scale. We will then look at collage and paper layering before adding in other forms of media. Our aim is to create a piece of art work related to the cover of Kensuke's Kingdom.
Slough Music Services will continue to provide our Music lessons this half term.
- PE will be on Wednesdays and Fridays, please ensure your child comes to school wearing their PE kit on those days. Please also ensure that any earrings are removed for PE.
- Homework will be set on a Friday and due in the following Wednesday.
- The children are expected to read every night, please ensure this is recorded in their reading records. Reading records will be checked on a weekly basis and reads will be counted as part of our new reading challenge. The aim is to read daily for 15-20 minutes.
- Spellings will also be given out on a Friday and tested on the following Monday. Children will receive all spellings weekly after the spelling session in school.
- Our library day is a Monday.
Parents/Carers - Thank you for your continued support over the last term, all of your children are making such great progress and this can only flourish with yout help and support at home. If you wish to discuss anything with me, we have an open door policy, otherwise you can contact me online - firstname.lastname@example.org
Files to Download
Year 5 (Waltz): News items
There are no News items to display
Year 5 (Waltz): Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 5 (Waltz): Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display